HAVE 8 OF 10 OFFICERS INVOLVED IN DINESH’S DEATH LEFT THE CIVIL SERVICE?
With all the high tech prison equipment, it is surprising that up till now no video footage of his assault was released.
It appears that 8 out of the 10 officers of the Singapore Prison Service that were on duty when prisoner Dinesh Raman died have left the civil service, if the information provided by the Singapore Government’s Directory Interactive is correct.
The 10 prison officers were, according to an affidavit filed by Mdm Selvi (Dinesh’s mother), directly or indirectly responsible for the death of her son.
Dinesh was serving his sentence in Changi Prison when he was allegedly assaulted/tortured by up to 10 prison officers on 27 September 2010, resulting in his death. Dinesh was due for release on 11 December 2010, under 3 months away.
The 10 officers who were on duty that fateful day are:
- Deputy Superintendent of Prison Lim Kwo Yin Darius (“DSP Darius”);
- Deputy Superintendent of Prison Harry Yap Hong Hock (“DSP Harry”);
- Assistant Superintendent of Prison Teo Chong Lian Dylan (“ASP Dylan”);
- Chief Warden Daljit Singh S/O Gurbachan Singh (“CW Daljit”);
- Chief Warden Rozairudin Bin Zaini (“CW Rozairudin”);
- Sergeant Yen Chia Hsien (“Sgt Yen”);
- Sergeant Tan Heng Chye Marcus (“Sgt Marcus”);
- Sergeant Lee Fangwei Jonathan (“Sgt Jonathan”);
- Corporal Anand Pereira (“Cpl Anand”); and
- Corporal Robby Bin Sulaiman (“Cpl Robby”)
If the information found in Mdm Selvi’s affidavit is correct, netizens are expecting all the officers involved to be taken to task, but surprisingly, only DSP Darius has been charged with “committing a negligent act not amounting to culpable homicide that caused the death of Dinesh Raman” and given a slap-on-the-wrist fine of $10,000.
On the suggestion of a few readers, TR Emeritus (TRE) ran an online check of the 10 officers supposedly involved and found that only 2 of the 10 are still in civil service, namely DSP Harry Yap and CW Rozairudin Bin Zaini. DSP Harry is currently Assistant Commander, CPC Security while CW Rozairudin is an NCO admin at Prison Staff Training School.
Apparently, the only senior prison officer who was charged and 7 of his ‘cohorts’ have left the civil service. It is not known if they were asked to leave or they left voluntarily for ‘greener pastures’.
In any case, TRE has written to the Singapore Prison Service for confirmation.
Meanwhile, Mdm Selvi is suing the government of Singapore for causing the death of her only son, Dinesh.