OFFICIAL LETTER OF APOLOGY TO MINISTER OF DEFENCE DR NG ENG HEN
1. On or about 16 November 2012, we published on our website, The Real Singapore (at http://www.therealsingapore.com), the following:
a. A headline bearing the words “NG ENG HAN LIED TO SINGAPOREANS ABOUT PROVIDING A NS DISRUPTION LIST”; and
b. A letter from one “Lim” containing the following words:
“Sir, you also mentioned that you would publish annually a list of names of NSF who defer their enlistments (‘NS disruption list to be open to public: Minister Ng‘, ST 20 Oct 2011). It seemed that it has been overdue or perhaps overlooked. Is the ministry taking the matter seriously?”
At http://therealsingapore.com/content/ng-eng-han-lied-singaporeans-about-providing-ns-disruption-list (Collectively, the “Words”).
2. We recognise that the Words meant or were understood to mean that Minister for Defence, Dr Ng Eng Hen, lied to Singaporeans when he said that he would provide a National Service disruption list.
3. We admit and acknowledge that this allegation is false and completely without foundation. The lists of names of full-time National Servicemen given permission to defer their enlistments have been provided, and are publicly available on the Ministry of Defence website (at http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/press_room/public_info/disruption.html).
4. We unreservedly apologise to Dr. Ng Eng Hen for the distress and embarrassment caused to him by this allegation.
5. We have removed the Words and the comments in response to or in connection with the Words and undertake not to make any further allegation to the same or similar effect.
Note from TRS:
We have published this apology in response to the defamatory content being brought to our attention by a letter of demand served to us by Drew & Napier’s CEO Davinder Singh acting for Dr Ng Eng Hen.
We would like to also take this opportunity to remind our readers that if content is published which you believe to be offensive, attacking you personally, or causing other unnecessary damage, disruption or otherwise, you may simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to have the content reviewed.
The article in question was reposted onto our site by one of our writers who took it from TREmeritus.com (Original link here) and it has been confirmed that the accusations written by "Lim" in the letter were indeed false.
Davinder Singh is a prominent lawyer in Singapore known for his work on several high profile defamation cases such as the lawsuits against Chee Soon Juan as well as acting as Lee Kuan Yew's Lawyer in many cases. We are honoured to know that prominent characters such as the Defence Minister are reading our website.
We look forward to bringing you more news in the future. We strive to bring more reliable and truthful news and eliminate false accusations such as this. We wish to continue promoting free speech and exposing the ugly truths in Singapore. Thank you for all your support!