This year’s National Day Parade (NDP) theme has just been announced to be “Our People, Our Home”. The Chairman of the NDP 2014 Executive Committee (EXCO) Colonel Wong Yu Han explained that the theme for this year is supposed to embody the “can-do” attitude and caring spirit of Singaporeans.
- I really hope Filipinos can show some basic respect to us Singaporeans
- Dear TRS, My Neighbour Secretly Took my Clothes to Wipe his Buttocks Late at Night
- Roy Ngerng: I have been labelled a criminal just for speaking out at Hong Lim Park
- Bachelorette Party Ends With Bride Getting Pregnant With Dwarf Stripper’s Baby
- Should Joss Paper Burning in Common Corridors Be Tolerated?
- Asked to remove her hijab, this photographer created a picture of principles
- Can’t we be a little more magnanimous towards LKY?
- Number of Domestic Workers Complaining about a Lack of Food Increased 20%
- If the Profit-Driven Sports Hub continues what they are doing, many Singaporeans will get fed up
- Singapore has the Lowest Pensions Spending in the World?
Towards the end of Once a Jolly Hangman, Alan Shadrake shares some details about his arrest in Singapore. There is one paragraph where he says: “Was I in danger of being arrested? I consulted well-known Singaporean Francis T. Seow, a former president of the Law Society. His advice: as long as it’s all correct, you have nothing to fear.” We can thus hold Francis Seow to his word, in the sense that the research in his book, Beyond Suspicion? is based on facts, not fiction.
Social networks offer a window into how people live their lives. But should employers be looking into that window? It's becoming an increasingly important question. The number of people fired over social-media posts is rising, and many employers look closely at a job candidate's online presence before making a decision. For an idea of how prevalent those practices have become, consider a 2013 survey from CareerBuilder, which helps corporations target and attract workers.
Let us look at the meaning of “Mercenary”: “A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict, who is not a national or a party to the conflict and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities by the desire for private gain." or to be precised “Soldier of Fortune”. Nations employed mercenaries as the government loosing support from their people. During the the Gadhafi's last day, he was using former Yugoslav soldiers, Mali and other african nations to shore up his support to fight against his own citizens but at the end of the day he lost the battle; Every good things must one day come to an end.
Ex-PlayStation chief and current CEO and President of Sony – Kaz Hirai – is preparing to take a 50 percent pay cut while declining his annual bonus, according to The Wall Street Journal. Other unnamed high-level Sony executives will follow suit in a sign of solidarity with their struggling company, which will post an annual loss for the fourth time in five years. Such a move comes on the heels of bad financial news for the company.
The State Court is to hear an application today to allow one of the teens accused of vandalizing the Toa Payoh HDB Flat access to his lawyer. Defence lawyer Choo Zheng Xi, who is acting for one of the accused said that he was not given access to speak to his client last week and so he made the application to court to gain access.
Alcohol kills 3.3 million people worldwide each year, more than AIDS, tuberculosis and violence combined, the World Health Organization said Monday, warning that booze consumption was on the rise. Including drink driving, alcohol-induced violence and abuse, and a multitude of diseases and disorders, alcohol causes one in 20 deaths globally every year, the UN health agency said.
An international authority on administration and prevention of corruption regards Malaysia as among the 10 top nations globally which are successful in implementing effective strategies and efforts to curb corruption. International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA) programme and activity co-ordinator Professor Alan Doig said the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) was on the right track to emerge as the best anti-corruption agency in the world.
The current CPF contribution rate is 16% from employer and 20% from the employee making a total of 36% of the monthly income. Using an average salary of $3,000 and 2 million employees (for simplicity in calculation) contributing to the CPF, just ball park, the monthly contributions work out to be (36% x 3000 x 2m) $2.16b or $25.92b a year. Now that is an awfully big sum of money going into the CPF.